MINISTRY OF WATERWAYS AND 11 MUNICIPAL COUNCILS SIGN MOA
The Ministry of Waterways today signed Memorandum of Agreements (MOA) with 11 municipal councils for disbursement of grants for drainage maintenance works within their boundaries.
While speaking at the signing in Suva today, Minister for Waterways Hon. Dr Mahendra Reddy said Government was committed to addressing drainage issues within towns and cities boundaries.
In the 2017 – 2018 budget, a provision of $1.32 million was made to carryout drainage maintenance in municipalities around the country.
“These grant funds are shared among 11 town and city councils for maintenance of drainage activities as per submission from municipal councils and clearance by the Local Government Ministry,” Minister Reddy said.
Minister Reddy reminded the special administrators and chief executive officers that “the grant will be paid in quarterly instalments subject to timely submission of quarterly acquittal reports from respective municipal councils”.
“The municipal council must utilise the grant as efficiently and effectively as possible and must take action to improve its efficiency and effectiveness as required by the Government,” he added.
Grant disbursement to the municipal councils is as follows:
- Nasinu Town Council – $476,000
- Nausori Town Council – $80,847
- Sigatoka Town Council – $32,201
- Nadi Town Council – $352,000
- Lautoka City Council – $40,000
- Ba Town Council – $32,300
- Tavua Town Council – $12, 290
- Rakiraki Town Council – $212,000
- Labasa Town Council – $48,400
- Savusavu Town Council – $21, 954.11
- Levuka Town Council – $15,000
[Information sourced from here]