Almost 70 per cent of Fiji’s population is below 40 years of age. This creates a great opportunity to rapidly progress as a young nation with new ideas. The continued investment in education and skill development with an increasing working-age population will provide a valuable pool of human resources for Fiji’s future development needs and help turn job seekers into job creators. FijiFirst will ensure increased educational, employment, and leadership opportunities for young Fijians.
- FijiFirst Government reduces the voting age from 21 to 18 years to empower and involve youths in decision-making and active citizenship.
- Initiatives like Free Education, Tertiary Education Loans Scheme (TELS) and National Toppers Local Scholarship Scheme under TSLS, Youth Grants, etc., have been taken to develop our young people.
- Equal Opportunities for employment for every youth of Fiji.
- FijiFirst Government introduced the Young Entrepreneurship Scheme (YES) to empower Fijian youths between the ages of 18 to 30 who have completed a tertiary qualification with a grant of up to $20,000 to start an innovative business.
- The recruitment of professional counsellors for our students will help them contend with career and personal choices.
- Initiatives will be strengthened for training, empowerment and awareness programmes for youths in areas, such as entrepreneurship, leadership, climate change and sexual health awareness. Financial support will continue to be made available for non-governmental organisations.
- FijiFirst Government introduced initiatives like the National Budget consultations and International Youth Exchange Programme that empower our youth and encourage their participation in national policy development.